Trump says he ‘called off’ peace talks With Taliban After Afghanistan Bombing

Spread the love

US President Donald Trump said on Saturday he canceled peace talks with Afghanistan’s Taliban leaders after the group said it was behind an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier and 11 other people.

Trump created the announcement in a very series of tweets, oral communication he “called off” the peace negotiations and “canceled” a secret meeting with the Taliban’s “major leaders” that was planned for Sunday at a presidential compound in Camp David, Maryland. Trump same he had conjointly planned to satisfy Afghanistan’s president.

“If they can’t comply with a ceasefire throughout these important peace talks, and would even kill twelve innocent individuals, then they in all probability haven’t got the facility to barter a meaty agreement anyway,” Trump tweeted, adding that the Taleban sought-after to “build false leverage”.

“I immediately canceled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?” Trump said. It is unclear if the US-Taliban talks square measure for good over or solely paused.

The USA president has been besieged from the Afghan government, politicians and a few members of his administration World Health Organization mistrust the Taleban and assume it’s too early to withdraw USA forces. Following Trump’s announcement, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s workplace on Sunday same peace would solely be attainable if the Taleban stopped launching attacks and control direct talks with the govt.

“Real peace can return once Taleban complies with a ceasefire,” it said. Al Jazeera’s Tony Birtley, reportage from the capital of Afghanistan, same the Afghan government had been terribly involved at the speedy pace with that the USA looked as if it would be following the social process.”They were involved regarding all the concessions that the USA were progressing to build,” he said.

“The Afghan government also wanted a ceasefire which has never been agreed between the Taliban and the US,” Birtley said, adding it did not sit well with Afghans that Trump “canceled these talks for the loss of an American serviceman when each week in Afghanistan, hundreds of Afghan civilians are dying because of this war”.

Taliban fighters, World Health Organization currently management additional territory than at any time since 2001, launched recent assaults on the northern Afghan cities of Kunduz and Pul-e Khumri over the past week and dole out 2 major suicide bombings within the capital of Afghanistan. Elis A Barreto Ortiz, US Army sergeant, was killed in one of the blasts, bringing the number of US troops killed in Afghanistan this year to 16. A Romanian soldier was also killed.

Draft peace deal
Earlier on, USA and Taleban negotiators struck a draft peace deal that would result in a withdrawal people troops from the US’s longest war. however a wave of Taleban violence has forged an extended shadow over a attainable deal. US Marine General Kenneth McKenzie, World Health Organization oversees USA troops within the region, declined to inquire into the talks themselves.

For many Afghans, the Taliban’s recent increase of attacks has underscored fears it should be not possible to achieve a stable settlement following a whole USA withdrawal. Many have troubled a few fractures on ethnic and regional lines. Some Taleban members square measure based mostly in close Asian country, wherever McKenzie control talks on Sat with a prime Pakistani general. additional talks square measure regular for Sunday.

McKenzie same he failed to apprehend whether or not any of the design for the recent wave of attacks in the Islamic State of Afghanistan came from Pakistan-based fighters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *