Lebanon eyes state of emergency as Beirut price climbs: Live

Spread the love

Lebanese President Michel Aoun involved an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday and said a two-week state of emergency should be declared following a huge explosion in Beirut that killed a minimum of 78 people and injured 4,000 others.

The explosion on Tuesday sent shockwaves across the town , causing widespread damage as far because the outskirts of the capital.

Officials said they expect the price to rise further as emergency workers dig through rubble to rescue people and take away the dead.

The explanation for the explosion wasn’t immediately clear. Officials linked the blast to some 2,750 tonnes of confiscated nitrate that were being stored during a warehouse at the port for 6 years.

Aoun assembled the country’s High Defence Council following the explosion.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab involved each day of mourning on Wednesday.

Wednesday, August 5
05:55 GMT – Lebanese Red Cross price rises to quite 100
George Kettaneh, the top of the Lebanese Red Cross , has said a minimum of 100 people were killed and quite 4,000 wounded within the massive explosion in Beirut on Tuesday.

Kettaneh added the toll could rise further, which the Red Cross was coordinating with the health ministry for morgues to require victims because hospitals were overwhelmed.

05:40 GMT – Australia mourns Lebanon disaster, one national killed
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed on Wednesday the death of 1 Australian after a huge blast ripped through the Lebanese capital, Beirut.

“Our hearts leave to all or any of these in Lebanon and in Beirut especially at the instant ,” he said, adding that the Australian embassy had been significantly impacted.

The powerful blast in port warehouses near central Beirut storing highly explosive material killed a minimum of 78 people, injured nearly 4,000 and sent seismic shockwaves that shattered windows, smashed masonry and shook the bottom across the Lebanese capital.

Officials said they expected the price to rise further as emergency workers dug through rubble to rescue people and take away the dead.

05:20 GMT – Cyprus says able to send medical teams to Lebanon
Cyprus said it stood able to offer medical care to neighbouring Lebanon after a huge blast ripped through Beirut port, killing a minimum of 78 people and injuring thousands, Reuters press agency reported on Wednesday.

“Cyprus is prepared to simply accept injured persons for treatment and send medical teams if required,” Cypriot secretary of state Nikos Christodoulides told state broadcaster CyBC.

Tuesday’s explosion was heard throughout Cyprus, which lies about 100 miles (160 kms) away.

Christodoulides said the Cypriot embassy in Beirut, which was closed at the time of the blast, was extensively damaged.

04:50 GMT – India’s Modi ‘saddened’ by Beirut explosion
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was “shocked and saddened” after learning of the massive and deadly explosion that hit the Lebanese capital, Beirut, his office said on Wednesday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families and therefore the injured,” the prime minister’s office added.

It was unclear if there have been Indian nationals suffering from the blast that killed a minimum of 78 people and injured about 4,000 others.

04:12 GMT – a minimum of three Beirut hospitals destroyed, two damaged
Dr Mirna Doumit, president of the Order of Nurses in Beirut, said three hospitals were completely destroyed within the city.

“So we had to evacuate patients who were in those hospitals to others. additionally , we’ve two other hospitals that were partially destroyed. So it had been a catastrophe and an enormous hit to the healthcare system, which was already bleeding,” she told Al Jazeera from the Lebanese capital.

“We lost three nurses working within the hospitals. i do not find words to explain what happened. It’s like we are during a horror film.”

04:01 GMT – Analyst: Lebanon needs international help to affect disaster
Nasser Yassin, professor at American University of Beirut, told Al Jazeera he doubts the Lebanese government are going to be ready to affect this disaster on its own.

“Like many issues for the previous couple of months, we have seen the Lebanese government not taking the proper decisions when it involves the economy, or finances or social issues. and that i can imagine that this disaster, this catastrophe, are going to be dealt by the way Lebanese people do – counting on themselves and therefore the support of their communities,” he said.

Yassin called on the international community to supply food support, noting major grain silos had been destroyed within the blast.

“For the approaching days and months, we’ll be handling the immediate aftermath, and then , we actually got to check out new ways and new people to control this country,” he said, adding: “We need skilled leaders and that we need the engagement of the international community to affect this disaster.

Source: aljazeera

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *