Investigators in Lebanon probing the deadly blast that ripped across Beirut are now that specialize in possible negligence within the storage of tonnes of a highly explosive fertiliser during a waterfront warehouse, while the govt ordered the confinement of several port officials.
The explanation for Tuesday’s explosion isn’t immediately clear, but officials link the blast to some 2,750 tonnes of confiscated nitrate that had been stored during a port warehouse at the port for 6 years.
The explosion sent shockwaves through the Lebanese capital, killing a minimum of 135 people and injuring 5,000 more.
Officials said they expect the price to rise further as emergency workers dig through the rubble to look for survivors.
More than 300,000 people lost their homes, and therefore the Governor of Beirut Marwan Abboud said losses from the blast are estimated to be between $10bn to $15bn.
Lebanon’s cabinet has declared a two-week state of emergency within the capital and handed control of security within the city to the military.
Thursday, August 6
05:10 GMT – a minimum of one US citizen killed, several injured in Beirut blast
The US Embassy in Beirut has reported that a minimum of one American citizen was confirmed killed and a number of other more were injured within the explosion at Beirut’s port.
“We offer our sincerest condolences to their loved ones and are working to supply the affected US citizens and their families all possible consular assistance. We are working closely with local authorities to work out if any additional US citizens were affected,” the US statement said.
The embassy says all of its employees are safe and accounted for, consistent with the AP press agency report.
04:48 GMT – France’s FM raises concerns about Lebanon’s food security
French secretary of state Jean-Yves Le Drian has raised concerns about Lebanon’s food security, after the huge Beirut blast damaged a serious silo that contains the country’s grain supply.
“There also will be a food need that’s indispensable due to the grain silos that exploded,” he was quoted as saying on Thursday.
Le Drian also called on the international community to point out solidarity with Lebanon, which was already reeling economically even before the disaster.
French President Emmanuel Macron is predicted to arrive in Beirut afterward Thursday.
04:23 GMT – Australia pledges $1.4m aid to Lebanon
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced that his country is pledging an initial $2 million Australian dollars ($1.4m) to the relief effort and is considering more.
Morrison also told reporters on Thursday that the help are going to be provided to the planet Food Program and to the Red Cross for food, medical aid and essential items.
04:02 GMT – More medical care from Russia expected in Lebanon
Three Russian flights are scheduled to arrive in Beirut within subsequent 24 hours, carrying equipment for a coronavirus testing lab and protective gear, among other medical relief supplies for Lebanon.
Earlier, Russia flew during a mobile hospital, along side 50 emergency workers and medical personnel to assist with the aftermath of the blast that killed a minimum of 135 people and injured 5,000 others.
03:30 GMT – Amnesty joins involve international probe of Beirut blast
Amnesty International has involved a world investigation into the Beirut blast, saying that the probe should be “free from any potential domestic political interference” to make sure “truth, justice, and reparations for victims.”
“The horrific scenes within the aftermath of the explosion were devastating for a rustic already suffering under the strain of multiple crises,” Amnesty’s acting chief Julie Verhaar said during a statement.
The group also urged the international community to urgently increase humanitarian aid to Lebanon “at a time when the country was already battling the severe depression , also because the COVID-19 pandemic.”
03:00 GMT – Without giving proof, Trump repeats claim about Lebanon attack
President Donald Trump has continued to suggest that the huge explosion that killed a minimum of 135 people in Lebanon may need been a deliberate attack, whilst officials in Lebanon and his own defense chief said it’s believed to possess be an accident, AP press agency reported.
“How are you able to say accident if somebody left some terrible explosive-type devices and things around perhaps – perhaps it had been that. Perhaps it had been an attack,” Trump told reporters during a White House briefing.
“I don’t think anybody can say immediately . We’re looking into it very strongly immediately .”
Defence Secretary Mark Esper earlier contradicted the president, saying most of the people believe the explosion “was an accident, as reported.”